How to use Photoshop Smart Objects
Smart Objects, an awesome Photoshop feature introduced in earlier versions of Adobe Creative Suite, are incredibly important elements of many products on Creative Market. For example, Mockup products rely on Smart Objects to apply special effects to your artwork, simulating it in an environment:
Here’s how to use and update Smart Objects:
- After you’ve opened the .PSD (Photoshop) document, make sure you’ve got your Layers Panel open (Window > Layers.)
- Next, look for a layer with a small icon in the bottom that looks like a document. This is a Smart Object. Many Shop Owners will label these “Edit me,” “Logo here,” or something that tells you that this is the layer to edit.
- Double click the Smart Object. You can now place your own artwork within this document (File > Place.) We recommend that you consult help files included in the product files for specific instructions or best practices for placing images. Sometimes, the named layers in the Smart Object will provide tips or instructions.
- After you’re done adding artwork and editing the Smart Object, go to File > Save (NOT save as!) You’ll probably see “Updating Smart Objects.” After that, close the file (File > Close.)
- The Smart Object will automatically update in the original file!